Mills Hill Train Station
The date 3rd July 1839 was a truly momentous occasion for the communities living adjacent to the newly completed railway. Many thousand lined the boundary fences and bridges to witness the passage of special trains conveying the directors and their friends from Manchester to Littleborough to mark the opening of the railway. The first train of 11 carriages was drawn by two locomotives Stephenson and Kenyon and the second train was drawn by Stanley and Lancashire.
There was an unscheduled stop at Mills Hill because of some difficulties being encountered with one of the locomotives. At this point the second train arrived and the two trains were combined and proceeded to Rochdale.