St. Leonard's Church



The Bishop Durnford was the Rector of St. Leonardís Church in Middleton between 1835 and 1870.

Up until his arrival, worshippers, unable to afford rent levied on pews, either had to "go to the wall" and sit on benches fixed around the perimeter or sit on the straw-covered floor. This straw was changed annually during the rush cart ceremony when fresh supplies were brought in on hand-drawn carts beautifully decorated with the straw and rushes themselves.